It is June and that means vacationers and seasonal residents are coming back to Aspen and Snowmass to enjoy our incredible community and bask in the natural beauty found throughout the entire Roaring Fork Valley this time of year.
There are so many great Aspen summer activities to enjoy, so I wanted to highlight a few in this article.
Aspen offers some of the best road biking in the entire world. Whether you are looking for a leisurely and scenic ride or you want to push yourself on some rigorous mountain routes, here are the top 5 road biking options according to :
- Castle Creek Road (CR 15)—Ride through the Castle Creek Valley all the way to Ashcroft Ghost Town.
- Maroon Creek Road (CR 13—Beautiful ride through the Maroon Creek Valley and Maroon Bells Scenic Area.
- Independence Pass (Hwy. 82)—Very tough and narrow pass with a lot of summer car traffic, but worth it for the incredible views!
- Rio Grande Trail—Multi-use trail that will take you out to Glenwood.
- McLain Flats Road—Good beginner ride with with only a couple steep grades on either end of the route.
The Roaring Fork Valley has dozens of great trails for hiking, mountain biking and running. It’s hard to narrow it down to just a few, but has listed these 5 as the ones with some of the best views around:
- Smuggler Mountain Trail—Excellent “in town” fitness trail with great mountain views.
- Ute Trail—A good aerobic workout on this difficult trail that treats you with stellar views at the top.
- Sunnyside Trail—Moderate 4.8 mile round trip trail overlooking Aspen’s ski areas and snowcapped peaks.
- The Rim Trail—One of Snowmass Village’s most popular hiking trials with multiple starting and ending points to choose from.
- Capitol Creek Trail—This one is a bit more off the beaten path, but worth it.
If you like being on in the water, Aspen has no shortage of breathtaking mountain lakes and rivers, Gold Medal fishing, paddle boarding, kayaking and whitewater rafting. Some of the most popular local lakes to hike to include Maroon Lake and American Lake. For boating and on lake recreation, Ruedi Reservoir is the place to be. The Roaring Fork River and its tributaries (including the Crystal River and Fryingpan River) provide all the river fun and serenity you would hope for in the mountains.
Aspen’s golf courses are open and ready for the summer season (with COVID-19 precautions in place), and you can tee it up on some of the best public and private tracks throughout the Roaring Fork Valley:
The only limit is your imagination when it comes to summertime activities in the Aspen/Snowmass area. There is so much to do and see, it’s easy to understand why some seasonal residents come here every summer and people from all over the world are drawn to this unique mountain paradise.
If you are interested in , or if you have a house for rent or sale, please give me a call at (970) 366-0891 or email me at
Aspen Real Estate
DRE # FA.100019229