Hiking is one of the best activities to enjoy in the Aspen area in the summer months. The Roaring Fork Valley offers many different trails with some of the most incredible mountain views on the planet. There is truly something for everyone around here. Whether you are casual hiker or an extreme wilderness adventurer, you’ll find a variety of hiking opportunities here!
Best Aspen Hiking Trails
Here are 5 of the best and most scenic hikes in the area, according to the Aspen-Snowmass website:
- Smuggler Mountain Trail—This is a relatively short 3-mile round trip trail that takes you to the Smuggler Mountain overlook and back. You will gently traverse 800 feet of elevation. This is a great moderate hike that almost everyone can enjoy.
- Ute Trail—Though shorter than the Smuggler Mountain Trail at only 2.4 miles round trip, the Ute Trail a much more demanding hike. It takes you up 1,700 feet in elevation and is a fantastic aerobic workout. It also offers some spectacular mountain views!
- Sunnyside Trail—If you are looking for a moderate-difficulty hike that’s a little longer than the Smuggler Mountain Trail, you will want to try Sunnyside. It takes you 4.8 miles round trip and slowly ascends 1,700 feet. You don’t really need hardcore hiking boots for this hike either. The path is not as rocky as some other trails. It is named Sunnyside for a reason, though, so bring a hat, sunscreen and plenty of water.
- The Rim Trail—This is moderate 7-1-mile trail. It is a long one-way trail, so you can choose your own starting and ending points and coordinate your parking plan with your hiking partners. This trail offers sweeping views of the Maroon Bells and Snowmass wilderness.
- Capitol Creek Trail—This is one of the area’s most picturesque hikes, though it is a bit more off the beaten path. It requires a 4-wheel drive just to access the trailhead. The hike is of moderate difficulty and is a 6.6-mile round trip trail that ascends 1,500 feet. If you are looking for an overnight adventure, pack your sleeping bag and stay the night at Capitol Lake.
These are just some of the excellent hiking and mountain biking trails you will find around Aspen and throughout the beautiful Roaring Fork Valley. There is no shortage of outdoor adventures to be enjoyed in this area, especially if you love to hike!
Ute Mountaineer Hiking Supplies
For all your Aspen hiking supply needs, I highly recommend Ute Mountaineer. This is a great store where you can buy or rent equipment for just about every outdoor adventure this area offers—hiking, biking, camping, rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding, etc.
Enjoy the picture perfect Aspen summer weather and let me know what you think of these hiking trails. And, if you have any questions about Aspen real estate, just give me a call or send me an email.
Aspen Real Estate
DRE # FA.100019229